Gregory English Law
Attorney at Law
HomeGregory EnglishPractice AreasCases & NewsFAQ's

601 King Street, Suite 406
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Call 703-739-1368 or 
Fax 703-836-6842

There is a mistake in my military records, and it might effect my future promotions and retirement pay. Is there anything I can do to correct it?

Administrative avenues are available to correct military records, but this is a tricky area to navigate. Representation by an attorney who is thoroughly familiar with military procedure is essential for obtaining satisfactory results.

I am pending trial by court-martial. Why should I spend my money to hire a civilian lawyer when the military will detail a member of the Judge Advocate General's Corps to me for free?

Detailed military defense counsel are competent and professional, but they tend to be young attorneys usually in the rank of 02 or 03. They also tend to have heavy caseloads because, in addition to representing the accuseds at courts-martial, they also advise individuals pending nonjudicial punishment under Article 15 and administrative discharge boards. By hiring a retired JAG officer, the accused guarantees that he or she will receive personal attention and the benefits of many years of trial experience. This can make a difference between winning and losing. For example, several years ago Mr. English defended a corporal who was accused of aggravated assault in a BCD special court-martial. His detailed Marine attorney told him to plead guilty because the case was hopeless. He hired Mr. English, and was acquitted at trial. There is no substitute for experience.

I have been served with a subpoena to testify in a federal case, but my testimony might get me in trouble. What should I do?

You should consult a competent federal defense attorney immediately. If a witness lies at a federal trial, he or she could be prosecuted for perjury. If a witness refuses to testify, that draws unwanted attention from the prosecutor who could make the person the subject of an investigation. The witness could also be held in contempt for refusing to testify. A practical solution to this dilemma can be to negotiate an immunity agreement which protects the witness while giving the prosecutors the information they need. This is a very tricky area in which representation by an attorney is essential.

I'm being investigated by federal agents at my workplace but I'm not sure exactly what it is about. How should I handle it?

Contact a competent criminal defense attorney right away. If a person works for the government and asserts the Fifth Amendment by refusing to answer questions, that can be a basis for termination of employment. If incriminating answers are given, the individual can be prosecuted. This area is filled with landmines, so representation by an attorney is crucial.